Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Winston Wednesday: Peanut Butter Dog Treats

For today's Winston Wednesday I decided to make some homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats. I don't usually like buying store bought treats because a lot of the time they have preservatives and unhealthy ingredients. There are only a couple brands I will buy. I figured Winston was due for a special treat. I found the recipe on Whole Foods website but changed it a little because I didn't feel like driving all the way there so I went to Target for ingredients and they didn't have exactly what I needed. It all worked out though. Here is the recipe (with pictures of the process):

Peanut Butter Dog Treats

1 banana, peeled
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of dried parsley (freshens breath)
3 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 egg, beaten



Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees

2. Put the banana in a large bowl and mash it thoroughly with a large spoon or potato masher.



3. Add whole wheat flour, oats, parsley, peanut butter and egg. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.




4. Roll the mixture into balls using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each; transfer to a large paper parchment lined sheet tray as they are done. Then use the back of a spoon or the heel of your palm to flatten each ball into a coin.



5. Bake until firm and deep golden brown on the bottom, 40-45 minutes. Set them aside to let them cool completely.



Once they have cooled down go ahead and let your dog try one! To store them put them in an air tight container in the fridge or freeze them and just thaw them before giving them to your dog.

If you're mean like me you can trick someone into eating one...not that they are all that horrible to eat. I did however tell my dad they were healthy cookies I made for us and he ate one and proceeded to spit it out into the sink. Then I proceeded to let Winston try one and he disagreed with my dad. He thought they were delicious! 


Happy Winston Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis