Monday, June 1, 2015

Meow Monday: Homemade Tuna Bites

Today I decided to spoil my cats just a little extra than I normally do and I was thinking of either making them a toy from scratch or some treats and I settled on treats! This recipe is really easy and I honestly had all the ingredients already in my pantry which was nice. I found the recipe on Pinterest and figured I would give it a try. Although every post on Pinterest makes everything look all beautiful and professional...I don't have the patience for that. This is the link to the original post which I changed a bit by omitting catnip and renaming because I like my name better: Design Sponge Here is my messy take on the whole thing and Charlie and Jasper's reactions which good lord Charlie would not leave me alone once the can of tuna was opened up where as Jasper was a little gentleman and kept his distance.

Homemade Tuna Bites
(makes about 3 dozen or 2 if you make them larger)

* 1 (5 oz) can of tuna, packed in water
* 1 cup of oat flour
* 1 large egg
* 1 tablespoon of olive oil


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper which you can set aside for right now.

2. In a mixing bowl or food processor combine drained tuna, oat flour, egg and olive oil.


Charlie was making it difficult to do anything.


3. Mix together well. It seems really thick and kind of dry but it is easily manipulated.

All mixed together

 4. Roll the dough into little balls and place them on the parchment paper. I then decided to just press them down to flatten them a little by using my thumb because I wanted to make sure they cooked nicely. They look huge in this picture but they are quarter size.


Charlie waiting for the first batch to go into the oven

5. Bake the treats for 10-12 minutes at the 350 degrees. 

All done! 

I then let them cool down and started another batch and once I was done I put them in this little container to keep in the fridge.

You can store them in the fridge for up to 7 days

Once they had cooled down it was time to let Charlie and Jasper test them so I brought one to Charlie who was sleeping on the couch and immediately Winston stole it! So I had Charlie come into the kitchen for better results. As for Jasper he pretended not to want it but as soon as I left him alone he gobbled it up. 


Well I hope you guys enjoyed this little post today and there will be a new one going up on Wednesday so make sure to check back! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis